Purchasing a Ragdoll Kitten or Cat
"My Agreement to Purchase" will differ a little, depending upon whether you are purchasing a kitten for a pet or a show/breeder. The basics will be true in all cases, though. See below:
- Kittens will be raised as "indoor cats" only, and not allowed outdoors without supervision. Ragdolls are too trusting and friendly by nature and could be easily abused by other animals. Plus, they are so adorable they would likely be "kidnapped!" Your cat will live longer and be much healthier raised indoors!
- You agree not to declaw your kitten. This is an amputation that can severely handicap your cat and cause them significant pain. They are easily trained to a scratching post and will be used to one before they go home with their new family.
- You will receive a clean bill of health, current on at least the first two sets of vaccines. You will receive a negative Feline leukemia and FIV test. They will be HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) negative. You will receive a 5 year guarantee against genetic diseases.
- Pet and Show Alter kittens will leave here already spayed or neutered. That cost is part of the purchase price.
- We have the right of first refusal, at no cost, to take the kitten back should you be unable to care for it due to illness, allergies, death in the family, or any other unforeseen circumstance. We strongly suggest you have a contingency plan in place (even put it in your will) as these cats should live in the neighborhood of 20 years. I am nearly 60 and as we approach our later years, this is very important! I see too many cats in shelters because something has happened to their owners, so peace of mind is best! I see this on the Ragdoll Rescue site as well, and it breaks my heart! You should have no problem getting a friend or relative to agree to take care of your baby should something happen to you!